« January 2007 | Main | April 2007 »

March 13, 2007

Merlin/Nelie G.

As I mentioned in the previous post, I am employed part-time refurbishing wooden sailboats. I have been working for this employer for 2 years now, and the boat has experienced almost no noticeable change. It's too bad I don't have any before and after pictures. Here are two that I took today.

Actually...I haven't worked on this "Merlin" for some time. Instead, I've been working on a different type of sailboat. I've been working on the "Nelie G" for the last month while my boss has been away in FL. I don't really understand the motives of my employer at times...but nor am I complaining about it. I find model building a lot more fun than sanding the underside of a hull. All I know is that the model is an exact replica of an actual ferry that once took cars to Beaver Island (or maybe it was some other isl), and apparently his son once had a cottage/home on the island. So I believe that the model will be a gift to his son upon completion.


This boat is RC-compatible - i.e. if I had a motor and a remote, this thing would actually operate.


From extremely vague instructions and actual to-scale blueprints, I had to cut out every piece from very fragile balsa wood; the keel, all of the frame and chine pieces, and every individual plank.


Plus, each piece is individually sealed with lacquer, painted or dyed, and coated with varnish. I even had to soak many of the pieces in order to get enough bend in them.

March 12, 2007

Epoxy Stage 1

I've decided to begin making paintings again...but I'm trying out a new technique that will employ a substance that I use almost daily in my part-time job - epoxy. Besides acting as a great adhesive and sealant for refurbishing wooden sailboats (my part-time), I imagine that epoxy would be a great medium to work on artistically.


I've done a few trials, and the hope is that my graphite paint will only stick to areas of epoxy that I sand rough. That way, I can determine the texture of my painting by how it is sanded. Also, I'd like to make multiple layers, adding imagery on different layers so to give it the illusion of floating. I was fortunate enough to get to know Fred Tomaselli while I was interning at the James Cohan Gallery. Fred's work has a similar 'floating' effect, and he creates some amazingly beautiful panels by layering pills and other collaged elements in resin.


As it turns out, I'm enormously allergic to this shit...so a bit of finesse is needed when I work with it.


Epoxy is rather temperature sensitive. I'm using this electric heater to regulate the temp around 65-70 F, in hopes that the warmth with reduce its viscosity and allow most of the bubbles to escape.

I realize that there is not much to see yet...but I will post more as the project continues