« interviews | Main | my map »

March 20, 2006

the weekend + bobby birdman

yeah! so i think this has been the best weekend i've had in LA yet. first off friday night was a night sitting around eating popcorn and drinking a japanese beer. saturday consisted of an e-mail from patrick letting me know of a great show that was taking place, which thus lead me to take the metro to the bobby birdman and thanksgiving show! ....where on the way i met some new friends.

we got there a little early so we decided to go to a cafe in chinatown.

i tried a blended green tea + boba. ok i'm not so much a fan of the boba. [big tapioca beads that are sucked through a huge straw.] but the green tea part was good.

after that we made our way to the show. i think it was almost perfect timing. a couple bands played and then bobby birdman went on!

[my blurry pics since i didn't want to use my flash]

following bobby, thanksgiving played and i really enjoyed the first song. we then had to depart. i was really happy to get to stay for the whole bobby birdman set.

so on our way back to patrick’s new abode we stopped at a taco stand. i clumsily hit my head on the side of the awning and andrew just misses. i don't recall who did it... but someone knocked over a whole bucket of taco toppings, which then made the lady come out and check out the situation...

haha.

i tried some horchata [mexican rice drink]. it was good, but i didn't realize how good until the next day. sunday i met carolyn in the garment distric... so much fabric. needless to say she was in heaven! and i was in heaven becauase it was just a lot of fun to look around. afterwards we were starving and walked to a mexican market right by union station. it was so much fun! there were people dancing in native garb and we had some mexican food. and then we discovered our love for horchata! i'm so hooked. sososo good! then we went around the market and carolyn bought a mini red guitar.

it was such a good weekend of unexpected events and exploring.

Posted by jennifer at March 20, 2006 12:59 AM

Comments

bubble tea = super wack
horchata = pretty darn good
Japanese beef = I don't really drink beer so I don't know.

seems like you had a liquid world tour.

Posted by: Anthony at March 20, 2006 9:03 AM

bubble tea, aka zhenzhu naicha is incredible. one of the finest inventions of taiwan. though you need to have it there to recognize its true wonder. i have never had good zhenzhu naicha in america. many of the other flavors are fine. i am partial to a taro smoothie now and again.

Posted by: george at March 20, 2006 1:03 PM

that was definitely me who duped the cilantro all over Glendale Ave. Classic. that was a fun night. we'll have to get together again.
Come to our house warming party Saturday night!
Horchata will be flowing!

Posted by: Andy g at March 20, 2006 6:51 PM

...one more thing: who's that stunning lad on the right in the photo? It looks like he had some left-over, pent up St.Patrick's day enthusiasm and he said, 'Fuck it, tonight I'm wearing my blueish/purpley jacket tonight!' Awesome!

Those tacos were tasty. Some of Patrick's G.R. amigos might be looking at this photo and screaming, 'No, Patrick, Stop! That taco's super spicy!'

I was thinking the same thing. I'm impressed. Maybe the rain water, street soaked cilantro softened the blow. Maybe after 8 months Patrick's finally getting tough. Muy bueno.

Posted by: andy g at March 20, 2006 7:14 PM

when i thought tapioca beads. i was actually thinking it would taste like tapioca. yeah that was a bad assumption.

i'm officially back in GR now. but it looks like i will be driving back at the end of this week. i might be there saturday... it all depends.

Posted by: jen at March 21, 2006 10:10 AM