« Lanthorn | Main | Granholm Gathering »
SANDWICH (RIP-OFF) ARTISTS
DECEMBER 5, 2005 1:37 PM

I just got a sandwich from Jimmy John's. Wack.

All the sandwich places downtown suck.

Jimmy John's was kind of a cheap and safe option until today.

I ordered the vegetarian - sprouts, then I noticed what looked like a bunch of clumps of dough on the counter where they make the subs. Seconds later I saw the JJ guy digging his fingers into the bun and rippng out the bread from one side! I asked why they did this and they were like, "I don't know? You can ask them to not do it."

What?

So wasteful.

I haven't eaten at Quiznos in nearly a year because I noticed that they cut off the end of every single sub so that "no one gets a bite of just bread."

Dear people who make sandwiches, why are you crazy?

You don't have to walk 2 blocks from either of these shops to find people who are freezing and would love to have some bread. I know that Quiznos does not donate their "excess" bread to any food banks and I doubt that any gleaners will except clumps of hand-pulled bread.

Blakes Turkey is far too expensive and not that good.
I have never had a good sandwich (or cookie) from Cafe Solace. They do make dope salads though.
The Subway on Monroe charges more than the standard franchise...because they can.
Roly-Poly usually makes me sick.
Two Choppers is a good place to eat lunch if you want to feel like a dumbass, their courteous staff will go the extra mile to make you, um what's the opposite of feel welcome?
The dog pit doesn't take credit cards.

I love Olive Express.
Cornicopia(sp?) has the besT pastries Downtown.
GRCC's grille is kind of gross but Super cheap.
I have walked all the way to Pepino's to avoid these other restaurants before.
That new Chinese restaurant is okay.
XO is good for dinner.

Am I missing anything?

ps. I lost my apetite after I realized that I acn't remember if the Jimmy John's guy had on gloves. I just keep picturing him sucking little bits of bread out of his finger nails while on break. Oh, gosh. I just puked at work (not true).

Guess what. I just opened up the sandwich.
SPROUTS!

Anthony | December 5, 2005 1:40 PM

There is Marado for pretty good inexpensive sushi. I don't know what they are like for lunch, but they probably have a bento box, and they have a few reasonable entrees besides sushi. It is not as cheap as a $4 sandwich, but, what are you going to do. Four Friends has sandwiches that are like those at Wealthy Bakery if you like that kind of stuff. There is a Eastown Deli in some building downtown that I can't remember but it is super secret and I haven't been there. Anyway, I don't eat lunch downtown very often, but there you go.

matt | December 5, 2005 1:54 PM

My grandfathet, upon retiring, was the president of the Pantlind Hotel that had been purchased by the Devos family. Soon after they built the Amway Grand Plaza - my grandma wsa responsible for naming the shops in the old hotel. She was most proud of Cornucopia.

ben | December 5, 2005 2:13 PM

if matt hadn't said it- i would've suggested four friends as well. the chicken pesto is soo good. and also you can get a bagel and cheese for real cheap i hear.

stephanie | December 5, 2005 3:03 PM

I guess I forgot that Four Friends served food now. I'll definitely try it out.

Anthony | December 5, 2005 3:54 PM

the eastown deli is on the calder plaza on the west side on the first floor of one of those buildings. i just started working at four friends and you can totally come in there and be super picky about what you want and we'll be nice to you (promise). we also wear gloves because crusty fingernails are gross. and we take cards. and we smell nice.

johanna | December 5, 2005 4:51 PM

i think "bite" has the best vegetarian sandwich downtown.

Anonymous | December 5, 2005 5:40 PM

oops, that was me.

mark | December 5, 2005 5:40 PM

I am a Quiznos owner and believe it or not it is mandatory that we cut the ends off. In fact no Quiznos Sandwich can have any type of rounding towards the end. We have spoken with our beloved (NOT) corporate to at least see if we can donate the ends to soup kitchens are homeless people. Well, guess what? We actually run the risk of having our stores taken away from us for not following the letter of the law. Is this rediculous? Absolutely!! Do we want to jeopardize having our store confiscated and sold by corporate with Corp. keeping all of the proceeds? Do they do this? ABSOLUTELY!! Regularly!! And then they are kind enough to leave us with all of our loans and debt which then places us in bankruptcy.

Sarah H | August 18, 2006 2:04 PM