« Nevermind the Met... | Main | Snoop doggy dogg needs to get a jobby job. »
BANDEIRAS LEGAL
MAY 22, 2006 10:01 AM

I thought I would show everybody some of my favorit flags.

This one is from Botafogo. My favorite Brazilian soccer team.

This is Brazil's National flag. It is seriously everywhere in Brazil. Somehow, it doens't get really annoying.

And this, as I am sure a lot of people already know, is portland's flag. I saw this on the URHO main page and was a bit flabbergasted(?). It is so cool and so beautiful. Why does the grand rapids city flag have so much yellow in it? Why was this entry so boring?

aw. i like our flag a lot. why don't you have it up for comparison?

george | May 22, 2006 10:27 AM

portland does have a sweet flag, though.

george | May 22, 2006 10:29 AM

I could only find booty gifs of our flag. I tried to find interesting photos of the others so it wouldn't have been fair to just throw up a low res rendering of our flag.

anthony | May 22, 2006 10:40 AM

george | May 22, 2006 10:44 AM

i love the republic of china flag. it hangs on my wall at home. i also like chicago's flag, oregon's state flag, and palau (because it's basically japan's but pastel.

george | May 22, 2006 10:51 AM

how would you compare brazilians' love of their flag to americans'?

kevin | May 22, 2006 3:32 PM

everybody in brazil seems to love the flag. It has more of a connection to the people than the nation. This could be because Brazil, as a state, has changed so much in the last century (military dictatorships, democratic elections, etc..) that people don't have the sort of authoritative nationalism that is sometimes attached to flags in other countries. I think the fact that the colors are so synonomous with Brazil around the world aid in its proliferation. In short, there are about 3 times as many brazilian flags around in the cities as there are american or british flags in American or British cities.

oh, think of "Michigan" shirts in ann arbor or green stuff in East Lansing. Totally ubiquitous.

anthony | May 22, 2006 5:52 PM