« BANDEIRAS LEGAL | Main | GRAM in NYT »
SNOOP DOGGY DOGG NEEDS TO GET A JOBBY JOB.
MAY 23, 2006 3:05 PM

Today has not been a very good day for my job hunt. I woke up to a report on NPR that talked about how a college degree doesn’t necessarily result in a higher income. Awesome!

Then I scheduled an appointment to take a test that you had to have before being able to apply for a job with Kent County. I helped my sister with some college stuff and then rode down to the county building. I’ll talk about the lack of bike racks some other time.

To make a long story short, I had to take a test on Typing, MSWord and Excel. Oh, and filing, too. No, not any particular type of filing, just alphanumeric sorting. At the end you can see if you missed any questions and go back to fix them, I am sure my screen said that I had all the filing questions right but the lady told me I missed three! She was nice despite the ridiculousness of the test. I passed everything but the typing test. I couldn’t even apply for this job because I couldn’t retype their memo any faster than 45 words per minute. The job apparently requires 50 wpm, even though the job description does not list typing of any sort.

This next section is straight-up whining, so feel free to skip it.

Neither of my degrees mattered. None of my research in Brazil, England and at GVSU was mentioned. My experience working for other government offices came up, but it didn’t help. I felt utterly castrated by bureaucracy.

I am not so mad that I didn’t get the job, I didn’t type 50 wpm, I am clearly not qualified. I am just kind of pissed about how hard it is to find a decent job. Shitty jobs are all around. But good jobs are really hard to get.

Don’t get me wrong, there are great jobs out there. Jobs for clowns jobs (see craigslist), for suckers (craigslist again), and jobs for people who majored in science. Oh, and there are also jobs for that guy who knows a guy who knows a guy. The problem is that people who do the hiring seem to make extra efforts to make people hustle to get them. This is nothing new, but it still sucks to know that you are just a name on a sheet of paper to the HR department.

I have a friend that has applied for 20 jobs since graduation and heard back from one. What is the deal? There are websites, huge websites, for job postings, yet the only people I know with jobs right now, got them from knowing somebody at their current job.

nepitism is a bitch... though, i have definitely been benifited by it.

george | May 23, 2006 3:38 PM

I don't think I've met you before, but I have to comment because I've been going through the same thing lately. I graduated in May 05. I don't know if there just aren't any jobs in GR (besides nurse, cad design, and scam victim) or if the job market is ruled by word-of-mouth croneism. I think a little of both. Like your government experience not making a difference, my three+ years of non-profit admnistration seems to have no bearing on the 'bitch' jobs I apply for. I'm a big believer in GR but now I'm planning on moving to chicago where craigslist features a wide array of jobs for the taking. It sucks. Although I wouldn't move if I did't want to.

Kevin | May 23, 2006 3:45 PM

Yeah i am having an impossible time finding jobs. any job really. i've applied to tons of jobs, film, video, library, office work, even retail. anything i feel remotely qualified for. Everyone from our generation is moving back home with their parents, time magazine coined us the "boomarang generation". I've also heard that we are probably going to be the first generation to be less well off then our parents. It is honestly sad when working at a borders bookstore essentially requires a 4 year degree. Audrey recently got a job at an art gallery in their inventory dept. the job required a 4 year degree from a liberal arts school, how much are they gonna pay her 8.50 an hour. so sad.

kyle | May 23, 2006 9:17 PM

i've benefited from nepotism a bit (working one summer in high school doing data entry at my mom's work, working for gm with my dad right after hs graduation, and even my ascent at the lab has been luck...)

do you know how long mike's going to be in thailand/abroad? i'd like to get out of the states for a while and hopefully just teaching english elsewhere....maybe you'd be interested in the same?

kevin | May 24, 2006 7:35 AM

mike is in thailand as long as he wants. His initial program was for 6mos.-2yrs., but he got hired somewhere else. I don't think he is planning on staying more than a year or so. We have both talked about teaching in Brazil. I am trying to figure out if a TOEFL certification is worth it.

anthony | May 24, 2006 9:01 AM

I definitely here ya. I am so frustrated with job hunting right now. I didn't know you worked in Brazil and England... Send me and email and tell me all about it!

I can't believe that with a Master's degree, I'm not even getting interviews. I am so salty towards Grand Rapids right now.

Sally T. | June 6, 2006 11:44 AM