There is so much going on right now in Grand Rapids and I think there is stuff that appeals to everyone, this is a short rundown of cool stuff happening in the area.
Just know I might have saved the best stuff for last so check out the whole list.
1. Wendesday nights at Drink (the bar) locacted in the Monroe center. The Ideal Collective is having their veriety show and artist booths. It is way cool come down to catch impromptu bands and solo acts perform, and if you are interested in getting a booth an artist booth is around $25. IF you are interested in participating call or email Erwin at 560-0187 or Erwin@idealcollective.com
2. Thurdsay night is movie night. 1030PM July 7
This week’s local park cinema event is at 10:30 pm in Eastown's Wilcox Park. expect to see Akira Kurosawa's woodsy 1958 classic 'The Hidden Fortress' Wilcox Park at Norwood/Robinson SE (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0051808/)
The organizers of this event invite all to come sit out in one of GR’s public parks and enjoy a movie. Because the event is outdoor and public they ask that people do not bring no illegal substances, but do bring blankets and chairs.
3.Also Thursday night at the DAAC Great music from around Michigan
Thursday July 07, 2005
Bear Vs. Shark (equal vision records - from detroit)
If He Dies He Dies (friction records - from Muskegon)
Paulson (one day savior records)
Victor! Fix The Sun [mp3] (friction records - from Traverse City)
$10 mp3s available at www.thedaac.org 115 s division ave gr mi 49503
3. Friday July 08, 2005 Opening at the Daac, cool New work by young and local artists. The Show Title : Look's Like the Wind is Blowing Up a Gale!
New Works by Daniel Ward and Justin Webb opening July 8, 6:30 - 9 food and drinks After 9 there is another great DAAC music event
Call Me Lightning (revelation records - just toured with Shellac)
Man At Arms (friction records - from GR)
Tanooki Suit (friction records - from Traverse City)
mp3s available at www.thedaac.org 115 s division ave gr mi 49503
4. Saturday morning July 9th 10-4 in Heartside Park: The Ionia Street Market “Summer Vacation” Stop by for an game of volleyball, to play around in the water playground, check out awesome local vendors, and as always great local music. Check out our website http://www.ioniastreetmarket.com
5. Saturday July 9th Opening of the Mosaic Collaborative 1317 Fulton SE next door to Common Ground Coffee House. Includes Sado’s Info shop, Octagon Active Arts, and an interactive world instrument museum, I’m not sure about times on this so it might be a good idea to just cruise by around 7ish?
6. Saturday July 09, 2005 at the DAAC.
Mercury Radio Theatre, Miss Argentina, The Perfectionists, The Sequoia Outlaws $7 mp3s available at www.thedaac.org 115 s division ave gr mi 49503
If that still isn’t enough and you are looking for some other stuff to fill your time Here are two more opportunities. If you are interested in Fashion design, showing your work, vending, or volunteering at a hot end of the summer fashion show, “DYCE” might just be the ticket, Being put together by three local up-and-coming innovators. DYCE is taking place in one of the coolest GR venues to date, the old –building- turned –parkeing- gradge behind the 100 block of Divsion, right behind Skelletoenes, Scavenger hunt, vertigo and the DAAC. For more info about participating call Jesse Hora 366 2775
Yeah and one last ultimate cool thing to do. Whether you are cheap, broke, love movies, or looking to be involved this is the ultimate summer hobby.
The Wealthy Theater is in need of volunteers to help out on film
nights. Volunteers who commit to taking tickets, refreshment serving, and cleaning up after the films will receive free admission to the movie and complimentary popcorn and soda. This is an excellent opportunity to support Community Media Center's effort to engage the community in enriching and entertaining events at the Theater. Movies are shown at various times Thursdays through Mondays. If you are interested, or know of someone else who might be, contact James Walker at the Wealthy Theater: 451-8001. To view a complete listing of show times and movie descriptions, go to http://www.wealthytheatre.org/index.php